Brooke’s Status Report – 4/20/24

The plan for this week was to finish finalizing the board and prepare the final project. Although the board doesn’t have the final polishing layers, testing, and assembly have mostly been completed. In addition to verification of functionality testing, I also had the chance to test out different styles for the pads on the board. I tried various combinations of wood, stainless steel, and polycarbonate and ultimately settled on a layer of wood and a layer of polycarbonate. This added tension and an excellent feel to the board without increasing the thickness too much. I was hoping to get the final board done, but next week, I can dedicate this week to making the board look like a complete product and finishing up any testing and issues I may run into as time passes in the building.

I fell a bit behind overall this week, but that doesn’t change the timeline, as it can’t. The due date doesn’t change, and fortunately, I gave myself a bit of slack this upcoming week in case I ran into some issues like I did this week with assembly, such as the fake acrylic and delayed orders. In the end, this final week is finishing up everything that hasn’t been done and preparing for the final presentation. It’s a good bit of work, but I should be ready to finish on time for demo day. Below are some photos of the new parts being assembled.

Testing different materials. Unfortunately, the acrylic was fake, so we had to work with polycarbonate.

We tried out different wiring configurations. The final design required me to expand the wiring space, as the overlapping wires were difficult to keep from spreading out.

Thanks to the wood bending, the inside of the board was glued together with way more clamps than necessary.