Jack Wang’s Status Report for 4/20/24

Personal Accomplishments:

1. Radar: In the past two weeks, I finished the work of the both rear and the front radar. Two radars were able to work independently, providing data like distances and velocity. In addition, I worked on the integration of the radar with the UI that Jason developed. I introduced that we will be using Named Pipe from the last status report, and I was able to configure the set up so that the information I sent from the radar matched with the desired format that Jason was looking for in his UI. In addition, I also implemented some basic strategies to de-noise the radar detection. I did so by looking at 3 consecutive detection frames and filtering out data points that only appeared in 1 frame, which is defined as noise. I would only forward the data to the UI if the target is appearing in all 3 frames. At this point, the full radar-UI pipeline is working as desired.
  2. Integration: Together with Johnny and Jason, I integrated the system onto the bike. This included making sure the wiring was correct, and each module was functioning as it should be.
  3. Testing: We did some tests for our system based on the design requirements. I drove the car behind our bicycle setup, and we recorded data like detection distance and velocity. These results will be shared in the final presentation.

Progress:

I am currently on track to finishing the integration of the system.

Special Topic:

As you’ve designed, implemented and debugged your project, what new tools or new knowledge did you find it necessary to learn to be able to accomplish these tasks? What learning strategies did you use to acquire this new knowledge?

One of the new tools that I learned is how to properly send data between the radar and the UI. I learned how to use Named Pipe and how to pack my raw data from the radar into JSON format. I learned this by first researching strategies that could achieve our desired outcome, from which I picked the simplest solution given that we are not processing tonnes of data. After identifying the tool, I read through the implementation documentation on how to implement such a pipe. Then, I did some simple experiments and basic testing before fully utilizing it on our system.

Next Week:

1. Integration
  2. Demo Preparation