Jason Lu’s Status Report for 02/17

Personal Progress

• Worked on the design review slides along with my team
  • I developed a block diagram for our system:

• Since we were planning to use a power bank, I wanted to to figure out if USB negotiation is needed for higher power. Decision: No need for negotiation, see power allocation
  • Researched how to connect multiple wires together (without a PCB or breadboard) since we plan to directly wire the battery pack to the radars, lights, and potentiometer circuit. Decision: Go with wire nuts
    • My original idea was to solder things, but I got spooked by this Reddit post which talked about solder melting, although in hindsight it was talking about code compliance which doesn’t apply to us and house wiring (we won’t be pulling that much current)
    • https://diy.stackexchange.com/questions/135925/when-to-use-electrical-tape-rather-than-wire-nuts rules out electrical tape because they say electrical tape does not hold things together which we need
    • Then I remembered that at work I’ve used wire nuts before, so I wondered about using wire nuts to tie them all together (I forgot that they were called that so I had to Google “twist on wire connectors” lol)

Out of the 4 deliverables from last week, I only met one (green = completed, red = incomplete). However, I’m still on schedule as I have until 02/21 to complete initial software bringup and I plan to test the Pi and start software bringup this week.

1. Get the RPi up and running
  2. Select a graphical framework
  3. Write a barebones hello world GUI application
  4. Select and order a display to attach to the RPi (done with team)

Deliverables

Here are the deliverables for this week:

1. Complete the design review slides
  2. Get the RPi up and running
  3. Select a graphical framework
  4. Write a barebones hello world GUI application
  5. Begin UI mockup