Aditya’s Status report for 3/25

My schedule changed this week as after we built the Note design structures, we realized we would have to implement the integrator step of the project in the front-end instead of the back-end, as discussed in our team status report. Because of this, I couldn’t use the output of the integrator in my Vexflow code like I’d originally planned.

Instead, I worked on determining how long each transcription will need to be based on the number of notes in each audio. Vexflow’s library is setup so that you have to manually instantiate each measure of the musical piece before adding notes to it. So, I wrote code that took the length of the input audio and using the baseline time signature of 4/4 determines how many measures (defined as Staves in the Vexflow API) would be required in the transcription.

Once the number of Staves was known, I could setup a 2-d array of locations, to track which measure goes where on the output PDF. I chose that there would always be 4 Staves in each row, so the 2-d array was an N-by-4 matrix where 4*N is the total number of Staves. If the number of Staves isn’t divisible 4, there are “padding” Staves added to the ending so the output still looks neat.

Once the Staves are instantiated, I iterate through the piece and write each note (only the pitches currently, as the integrator is incomplete); the row and column of the desired Stave is determined  based on the index of the Note in the list recieved from the backend; for example, the 5th item in the list will correspond to the 2nd row, 1st Stave of the transcription.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *