Aden’s Status Report for 4/22

This week, my main focus has been finally printing out a prototype of our chassis structure that will hold up the solenoids above the piano keys. This has taken so long because we have been trying to sort out the logistics of 3D printing due to the cost of printing on campus. We finally have a prototype that has given me insight into what needs to change for the final solution.

One major issue was the holes that the solenoids protruded from were too small for them to return to. We also gave them too much wiggle room where the walls held them in place. Thus, I increased the diameter of the holes and made the walls tighter around the base of the solenoids. Another issue that we are having with this design is the difference in height between the black and white keys. Therefore, we somehow have to create an offset between the black and white keys so that all of the solenoids are close enough to their respective keys.

Going into the final week of classes, my progress is a little behind schedule. It would have been nice to get this done a week earlier, but we were constrained by logistical reasons.

This week, however, I plan on finishing a new design and hopefully being able to print it out before the week ends so we can squeeze in one or two more alterations that may need to be made before demo day.