Nora’s Status Report for 4/29

This past week I presented our final set of slides for the Final Presentation. Thus last Sunday I worked on creating the powerpoint and preparing for the oral presentation. Overall, the presentation went smoothly. We received one question about how we handle pieces where more than five notes at a time to which I answered that they are iterated through sequentially in the scheduling algorithm, and any notes after five are not played. If we have more time after the system is built, we may implement a more complex method that analyzes the chords and schedules accordingly.

During the week, I also worked on adding functionality in the code to prevent the program from crashing when it encounters errors and exceptions. This adds a layer of robustness for demo day in case unexpected errors appear that we don’t catch during testing. Going into next week we plan on conducting more testing of the entire system so that we catch those bugs before our demo.

I also looked into having the program run on startup. I have tried editing the rc.local file as well as placing the program in the init.d folder on the Raspberry Pi. I have not been able to do this successfully, but I will continue trying so that we can just plug in the Pi directly so that setup is more seamless on demo day. However, if it ultimately does not end up working, it will not impact the functionality of our overall system.

Next week, I will work with Aden and Rahul to complete the assembly process of our final accompanyBot and then carry out end-to-end testing so that we do not encounter hiccups during demo day. We will also be working together to complete our final poster, report, and video.