Grace An’s Status Report for 4-24-21

Over the past two weeks, I have finished the desired image filters (chroma-key, contrast, and brightness). I wrote a chroma-key implementation in SystemVerilog that takes in two 16-bit pixel values and a threshold determiner and outputs either the original 16-bit pixel value or zero depending on whether the provided pixel value is sufficiently close to the provided “background” pixel value. This implementation also uses Quartus’ synthesized nine-bit multiplier modules on each “color” in the 565 pixel values. The specified background color and threshold values also allow the chroma-keying module to work with the FPGA hardware switches such that the removed color and the sensitivity of the chroma-key filter can be set dynamically after hardware configuration. I have also finished contrast and brightness modules, although that would be tested at a later date (when the entire studio is integrated with all four cameras and the FPGA). It is likely that the contrast module would require using decimal multipliers on the FPGA.

As Breyden has the FPGA and cameras in his possession, he very kindly tested and debugged my code (which had an LSB and MSB mix-up error) and improved the threshold handling to be more sensitive across the desired background ranges. The effect of our image filtering modules can be seen in his status report this week.

I am on track with the schedule as all image filters are more or less finished. Over the next week, I will work on the final presentation and the final report as we finish up our project. I may also help Breyden with the integration process and/or the testing process depending on logistical details.