Grace An’s Status Report for 3-27-21

Two weeks ago, I spent most of my time on the Design Review Report, specifically writing up sections such as the Arduino and FPGA sections of the architecture overview, design trade studies comparing alternate FPGAs and analog cameras for our project, and the budget and work distribution. I also helped revise the final paper, improving conciseness.

Throughout the past week, I have found that nearby stores (Home Depot, Hobby Lobby, Lowe’s, etc.) do not have the size nor optical qualities of plexiglass that we desire, so I ordered acrylic sheets online. Because online shopping precludes the ability to verify the quality in-person, I ordered a variety of plexiglass sheets to see which provides the best properties. Due to shipping times, not all these materials have arrived, and I only received three 24″x36″x0.03″ PET sheets very late this week. Using these sheets, scissors, and masking tape, I have been able to make the 1:2 model shown below:

Figure 1: Over a pre-baked video, the 1:2 prototype displays a satisfyingly convincing three dimensional illusion.

From this 1:2 model, I have found that these PET sheets are finally reflective enough to make a holographic illusion. The 0.03″ thickness is also thin enough to be cut with scissors, which is much easier than with a plastic cutter (although not more precise) and is also sturdy enough the 1:2 model holds together well. There is a very slight (but still noticeable) doubled reflection that presents a concern, and we may want to consider a better attachment method (e.g. optical tape or acrylic glue) to make the final product more professional.

I am running very slightly behind schedule in that I have not completed the entire pyramid yet, since these materials arrived only today. However, I am certain to complete this task early next week, since the 1:2 model was surprisingly easy to construct. I will also investigate methods to improve the reflective quality of the pyramid, such as by using optical tape, suppressing doubled reflections, and/or polishing the plexiglass.

A greater concern is whether the live studio is able to be constructed over the next week, as this requires both materials and verification of the cameras’ field of vision and color capability, and there have been persistent issues with shipping times and the OV7670 cameras. I will definitely order the necessary materials (studio lights, backdrop, etc.) over the next week, but it is possible that I may switch over to preemptively working on image processing, in which case that will be the additional deliverable I will work on over the next week.