Hongzhe’s Status Report on 11/04/2023

In the past week, each team member is making substantial progress on building on some visible and usable components in the project and starting to integrate for the interim demo. At the same time, during the lecture on Monday, we learned a lot from the ethics lecture on what we should consider when being an engineer creating technology that makes not only technical impact. On Wednesday, we also got some valuable feedback from Professor Byron to check the status of what we would show on the interim demo.

Personally, in the past week, I accomplished the following things. First of all, utilizing the interface I created last week, I was able to process all the reference data we have on the default 24 Tai Chi Poses and generate the coordinate data. The data will be further used by Roland on testing comparison algorithms and for reference in the final product. Secondly, providing advice to my teammates, now everyone has OpenPose successfully built on their Windows PC. Last but not least, in preparing the interim demo, I was able to create a program that connects OpenPose and the comparison algorithm. The subunit test takes in a user image and reference pose name, processes the user image to get coordinates, compares the user and reference coordinates to generate text feedback. Note that this is the middle portion of the final product, we will further connect the real front-end app and camera interface and the text-to-speech app in the back to perform the functionality in the future. We might be able to integrate more functions tomorrow before the demo, but this is what I have been working with Roland to achieve.

In future weeks, given that the OpenPose infrastructure is mostly done, I will be focusing on integration, and some sub parts of app infrastructure such as skeleton drawing etc. We will also try to reach out to some interviewees to get some further confirmation on project details.