Bhumika Kapur’s Status Report for 9/25

This week I worked on the proposal presentation. I worked with my group members to complete the proposal slides, and we worked together to do some research into the components and algorithms that we are going to use to quantify some of our testing metrics and requirements.  I was presenting for my team this week so I spent a few days preparing for the presentation and getting familiar with the content.

I believe that I and the team are following our schedule well. Based on the Gantt chart that we created last week, our team is in the researching phase for the components/softwares that plan to use for our project. This past week I did some research into cameras for our project, starting with the cameras that are already in the ECE inventory. I found that some of the cameras in the inventory seem to be satisfactory for our project, such as the Sainsmart Imx, which has a 160 degree wide angle lens. But we may have to purchase a more expensive camera such as the Intel RealSense for depth sensing,  as I could not find any depth sensing information on the cameras in the inventory. I also did research into edge detection algorithms, and found that Canny edge detection seems to be the most effective (95%) and thus the one we should use for our project. We also tested out some images with canny edge detection and found that it ran quite fast, in only a few seconds. (see below). This week I plan to continue research cameras and algorithms, and start writing the code for some of the computer vision algorithms we plan to use in our project, if I have time.