Bethel’s Status Report for 3/11/2023

What did you personally accomplish this week on the project? Give files or photos that demonstrate your progress. Prove to the reader that you put sufficient effort into the project over the course of the week (12+ hours).  

Considering the little progress I made in transferring the AI aspect of the game code from Javascript, HTML and CSS to Node JS, and having communicated these issues with Professor Gary Fedder and Omkar, I have decided to completely abandon the game code translation process. Instead I will be going back to the original strategy of using JavaScript event listeners to track different game actions. 

I have also managed to build the Node JS server that will be relaying the game data to our Arduino IDE. The Node JS server is currently being triggered using a single button that represents a game action. This helps test the proper functionality of the Node JS server while it is in the early development stage. Furthermore, I have designed a single motor circuit using an Arduino Uno as shown in Figure 1. to simplistically mimic the behavior of our system of motors.

Is your progress on schedule or behind? If you are behind, what actions will be taken to catch up to the project schedule?  

My progress is somewhat back on track since I have chosen to proceed with creating the Node JS server prior to the plan within our schedule. I will therefore, use the time I planned to dedicate to building the Node JS server to instead go back to the original strategy of implementing JavaScript event listeners that track the game actions of different sized enemies.

My deliverables for this week will involve me having to test whether my Node JS server can successfully transfer the game data involved with one game event (for example a small hit) to our Arduino IDE given the basic motor circuit shown in Figure 1 below. 

Moreover, I will not be translating all of the game code from HTML, CSS and Javascript to Node JS. As per the advice I received from Professor Gary Fedder and Omkar, I will be going back to my team’s original plan of implementing event listeners to track different game actions.

Figure 1. Shows the simple single motor circuit I will be using to test the functionality of my Node JS server.