Jananni’s Status Report for 3/27

1. Accomplished this week:  This week I have been focused on building the calibration for our project.  This process asks the user to take pictures of their front and side profiles so that our algorithms can be more accurate for the specific user.  This week’s goal is to get the user’s eye height (in order to check for blinking) and the user’s mouth height (in order to check for yawning).

I first did research on various calibration code I could potential use.  One potential idea was using this project (https://github.com/rajendra7406-zz/FaceShape) where certain face dimensions are outputted.

Unfortunately these dimensions were not enough for our use case.  So I focused on using the DNN algorithm for a single frame and calculating the dimensions I required from the landmarks.

Then I started working on building the backend for the calibration process.  I spent a lot of time understanding the different pieces of code including the eye tracking and mouth detection.  Once I understood this, I worked on integrating the two and retrieving the specific values we need.  For the eye height, I calculated the average of the left and right eye height and for the mouth I return the max distance between the outer mouth landmarks.

2. Progress according to schedule:  My goal for this week was to build the basics of the calibration process and get the user’s facial dimensions which was accomplished on schedule.

3. Deliverables for next week:  Next week I hope to start working on the frontend of the calibration process and the user interface.