Status Report #4 (Mar 9)

Haohan Shi

This week I worked on setting up Google cloud application and corresponding python code for us to do speech-to-text so that we can analyze what the user said and give the correct response.

One major issue I noticed is the delay of the response comming from Google cloud, from Google cloud console I’m seeing an average of ~1s latency:

The latency can be much worse if the network traffic is busy in a public area such as demo room, so our current workaround can be adding a “processing” screen on the lcd so that the user can know the command is being processed.

My next focus is to combine our hotword detection and the speech-to-text together, so that the STT functionality can be successfully invoked by the hotword. After this, I should start working on processing the input text and finalize all the “supported commands” of our robot.

Yanying Zhu

I mainly worked on the control: obstacle avoidance system of the robot. There are several research paper that demonstrates sensor based path planning algorithm for small robot. I aim to use simplified version of such algorithm and apply it to our robot. I have created a base code for the robot control system which contains basic states: wait , scan and move. It should be able to do simple obstacle avoidance based on that.  The next steps would be improving the complexity of the code by adding more states, for example backing up when the distance is too short and hard to turn.

Olivia Xu

self-learned python Image library to effectively display my images and texts while taking up as little space and time resources as possible. Facing issues with the image display functions blocking other threads while running and ultimately getting everything stuck. Drew more images and designed layout for combination of images and texts such as weather and time.