Ray’s Status Report for 09/23/2023

This week, I presented our team’s original idea “Patient Monitor System” to the class. After the presentation, my teammates and I received feedback from instructors and, upon reconsideration, we decide to switch to the more applicable idea of designing a Taiji Training monitor system. To build upon this new idea, I searched for relevant papers and researches on pose recognition. In particular, I found and skimmed through the paper “3D Human Pose Estimation on Taiji Sequence” [1], finding it very relevant to our new project idea while targeting a different goal. In particular, the part where the conversion from 2D joints to 3D joints using neural network is intriguing and worth looking into.

My progress, along with our team’s schedule, is a bit behind due to our change in plan. To catch up on our original schedule, we will rework on our abstract to establish a reliable ground for our new idea for the first few days in the next week, and try to get the tasks originally planned for next week finished after we have a clear plan for the system we want to design.

In particular, I want to lay out how our systems will recognize and evaluate Taiji Poses. The Taiji Poses we plan to work with is the 24-form-Taiji sequence, there are clear ground-truth poses in this sequence for machine learning. We also have the idea of letting our user input the Taiji videos of their choices. We would also want to find a good way for the users to know how good their Taiji Poses are; some possible solutions to this might be an LED screen or a programmable LED unit. I also hope to make plenty of progress in our data collection next week, since data collection for our current idea is considerably simpler than for our previous idea.

[1]https://etda.libraries.psu.edu/files/final_submissions/17625