Hongzhe’s Status Report on 10/28/2023

In the past week, we as a team pushed the progress of the project to be fully detailed and laid out. Individually we were able to create more usable modules and codes as subparts for the final design. We also had some great discussion with the faculties to finalize and brainstorm some small design choices and learned how to conduct better background research. In the meantime, along with the course schedule, I learned more about thinking ethically as an engineer by reading papers and applying the thinking to our own project.

For the technical portion I own, I was able to create a function that takes a image input directory path, run OpenPose on all the images in the folder and output their corresponding JSON file containing the coordinates. This marks a milestone for the progress on OpenPose, as this function/interface should be able to serve as the interconnection between front end infrastructure and back end comparisons. After the camera is able to capture an image of the user, it would temporarily store it in some folder, then the path would be passed to this function and generate the coordinates, the coordinates would finally be passed to the comparison algorithm and feedback system. Note here that user image would only be temporarily stored in order to protect user’s privacy to the largest extent. The image would be deleted once the user moves on to further rounds of practicing. I also let the function generate a rendered image sample in case we need to use it in the UI as below.

For future days, given that the OpenPose infrastructure is mostly done, I will try to learn Kivy with Ray and Jerry and help on build some portion of the app infrastructure, majorly the portion that connects with OpenPose and about displaying coordinates and skeleton on screen.