Shiheng’s Status Report for 09/23/2023

After an intense discussion with Professor Tamal during the Friday meeting, we discovered the justification for our initial plan in terms of costs and applicability was not strong and viable. Understanding the difficulties and hardships we are going to meet using Openpose in patient behavior detection, I contributed to the change of topic into Taiji instructor. With reference to yoga instructor available online, we decided to follow a similar trend but carry out it differently since Taiji is more concentrated on the flow of body motion instead of static data points. We could control the cost easily through justification provided to monitor larger motions of Taiji using Openpose and the setup of one camera to provide back real time justification and evaluation of the body posture, instead of the original plan on patients, which we ignored the class of patients which are bedridden and would have continuous minor movements instead of large motions which normal people would behave.

Gathering data and formulating them are the main progress I made in the past few days after the project change, using Ray’s reference body positions, I identified some body positions that are concise for beginners to learn and could possibly be identified through the Openpose algorithm. I reckon these positions will be clearly identified in low-cost cameras and meet the requirements of the Raspberry Pi we tend to use in the project.

Though we are behind on scheduling, we have advanced greatly in the data collection and classification part which hindered us greatly on the previous project. I believe we could catch up in the following weeks and advance greatly into our project.