John’s Status Report for 11/5

This week, our group was focused on defining the requirements for our interim demo.  For my part, I am working on the web app that users will interface with to record audio, upload it to the audio processing part, then see the results of the audio processing and piano key mapping displayed in graph form.

So far, I have added more to the web app, allowing users to visit a recording page and speak into their computer microphone to record their speech. As of now, I am using the videojs-record JavaScript package to record the user audio and display the live waveform of recording. This package includes many features and plugins that allow for efficient audio recording and easy implementation within our Django web app framework.

Currently, the user records the audio and this file gets stored in a local media folder as well as in a model on the sqlite3 backend. This allows different pages of the webapp to access these models so that the user can play back the audio or select a previously recorded clip to send to the piano.

What’s next is connecting up the audio processing and note scheduling modules written by Marco and Angela to the web app. Once we have uploaded their portions to the web app, we can work to pass in the recorded audio to these modules then displaying the outputs back onto the web app.