Angela’s status report, 10/12/2022

The beginning of the week, I and my team worked on our powerpoint for the final presentation. As I was the one who would present, I wrote down an outline for the points I wished to make during my presentation and made sure to include what my teammates wanted said.

This week, I spent my time working on the parallelization of a timing bottleneck in the audio processing module. This was a part that parses the audio file for the sliding DFT for each key. I am going to test different numbers of threads on our AWS instances to find the one with the best speedup. The threading library was used to facilitate this. This was a very good learning opportunity for me, as beforehand I was not aware one could be able to enable parallelism in a high level language like Python.

I implemented some new decay calculation methods in my code. Unfortunately, this caused some bugs that made my module non-functional. I hope to resolve these by the demo.

I also spent time helping John Martins debug the virtual piano. There was a bug where only the first element of the array was being passed to the end of the pipeline. Fortunately this was resolved and the piano is able to now play more than one key at once.