Aaron’s Status Report for 3/6

This week I worked on the system specification and implementation plans for the design review proposal. I created a new, more detailed version of the overall system block diagram, and I also created an independent software block diagram that goes into more detail about our app.

For the communication between the Raspberry Pi and the phone, we are planning on using the BlueZ Linux Bluetooth stack to handle Bluetooth pairing and data transmission.

I also did more research into determining beacon distance using Bluetooth. I found this webpage which details the math and some code behind how Bluetooth distancing calculations can be done. Although Bluetooth distance measuring is not very accurate, this is not a problem because we do not need precise distances. Since we only need to determine whether a tag is inside of the backpack or not, we are able to get away with the distances being off by up to approximately 10cm.

Next week I plan on working on the design review document and creating more diagrams to detail our system even further.