Joon’s Status Report for 2/20

This week, I worked with my team to solidify and expand the overall idea of the Backpack Buddy developed for our Project Abstract. Based on each team member’s areas of expertise, we divided our tasks and planned our schedule for the entire semester using the Gantt chart. Since I had taken many computer science and machine learning courses, I decided to work on the camera feature of the system, where users can use their phone camera to register the item into the database. I needed to get familiar with the concepts of applications of computer vision because the knowledge of computer vision is instrumental in completing my task. (Links I referred to: Object Recognition with Deep Learning, OpenCV for Detecting Objects in Live Video)

I did some research related to computer vision and the most frequently used modules. I decided that the OpenCV library is suitable for this project. I was also able to learn the difference between object recognition and object detection. Although detecting the object from the camera image will not be too difficult with the OpenCV library, being able to recognize which object will be a much more challenging task. Therefore, my plan for next week is to do more research on using the computer vision techniques on phone applications built in Kotlin and code the object recognition algorithms to be applied to our project.

I also worked with my team members to set up our WordPress website and build dozens of slides for the Proposal Presentation next week. We’re on schedule because we are regularly meeting besides our designated lab sections to catch up on our progress and work together on the slides. As the first presenter of my team, I will be delivering the Proposal Presentation, so I practiced for the presentation before our class next week.