Gram’s Status Report for 04/29/23

What did you personally accomplish this week on the project? Give files orphotos that demonstrate your progress. Prove to the reader that you put sufficient effort into the project over the course of the week (12+ hours).

I fixed the flex sensors to the glove at their base using hot glue and used tape to fix them through their midsections and tip. This took some time to accomplish since I had to readjust the sensors so they would be straight to minimize strain on the sensors.

I also worked on integrating the end-to-end systems and setup demos of our independent subsystems for our presentation. Here, I added a debounce to our classifier to create a more seamless experience when performing gestures. Essentially, when a gesture is classified, a timeout is applied before the next gesture is applied to prevent the host cursor from jittering across the screen.

I also worked on the slides for the final demo and practiced speaking since I presented.

Is your progress on schedule or behind? If you are behind, what actions will be taken to catch up to the project schedule?

Progress is a bit behind because after integration, some parts malfunctioned (some wires detached, driver malfunctioned). However, we will resolve them this week and get the entire system working.

What deliverables do you hope to complete in the next week?

I plan to work on testing the last untested parts and work on the final report.

David’s Status Report for 4/29/2023

What did you personally accomplish this week on the project? Give files or photos that demonstrate your progress. Prove to the reader that you put sufficient effort into the project over the course of the week (12+ hours).

This week, I assisted in making sure all of the components were attached properly on the glove. I also tested the battery life of the glove. Currently, the system is not working smoothly end-to-end, and I am still investigating why the HID controller is not working as expected.

Progress is slightly behind due to the unforeseen problems with the HID controller. Since I will have more free time next week, I will work on getting everything working end to end.

Fix the HID controller and also run more tests on end to end accuracy and latency.

Team Status Report for 04/29/23

What are the most significant risks that could jeopardize the success of the project? How are these risks being managed? What contingency plans are ready?

The biggest risk right now is making sure the whole system works. There were a couple of bugs in the HID driver that require fixing. For example, the compute module was successfully able to classify the input sensor data and attempted to dispatch it to the computer, but sometimes the host computer was not able to receive it. We also experimented with debouncing times so that random gestures aren’t picked up but the action isn’t too slow.

Were any changes made to the existing design of the system (requirements, block diagram, system spec, etc)? Why was this change necessary, what costs does the change incur, and how will these costs be mitigated going forward?

None since last week.

Provide an updated schedule if changes have occurred

No changes.

Team work adjustments

No teamwork adjustments have been made. We are currently on track to accomplish our tasks and are currently all just working on them.

List all unit tests and overall system test carried out for experimentation of the system. List any findings and design changes made from your analysis of test results and other data obtained from the experimentation.

1. Latency tests – averaged over 20 trials. The finding we found is that using a time-series-based approach is pretty speedy compared to neural networks, which was stated in the presentation.
Measurement Actual Value
Oscilloscope measurement of Pi 4 GPIO pin and sensor detection output 

(overall measurement)

~ 112ms
Sensor data collection ~ 100ms
Model classification time ~ 5ms
Wi-Fi transmission delay with ping tests ~ 5ms
Dispatch time TBD

2. User experience tests. The finding we found is that our initial goals were overestimates as we were able to significantly exceed the target metrics we had, with the exception of the range. This is because we felt like for the best user experience, the configuration should be as hands-free as possible, which is why we switched the communication protocol from local wifi to using the Raspberry Pi as a hotspot. That way, we would not need to reconfigure both the glove and Pi when the user uses the glove in a different location. Even though this came with a trade-off of lesser range, we decided it was alright considering that it still worked at least 10 meters away, which is far enough in a classroom setting.

Requirement Measurement Procedure Target Metric Actual Value
Usability Ease-of-use: User study measuring comfort, setup time, and responsiveness 90% user satisfaction based on survey

Setup time < 5 mins

~4 minutes
Portability Measure weight with a scale.  < 500 g 57g + 34g battery
= 91g
Range Test wireless communication across measured distances Up to 50 m between glove and compute 10 m
Battery Life Run glove module with all sensors and communication running and measure total power consumption up to 1 hour of continuous use ~40 hours

3. Accuracy tests – We tested the zoom-in and out gestures, however, the zoom-in wasn’t as accurate as we had hoped. We found out that the sensor of the index finger wasn’t that responsive to flex, which is particularly important for our zoom-in gesture. Xuan will replace the sensor in hopes that the algorithm will achieve higher accuracy.

Train/test split evaluation

Accuracy of dispatched HID controls

> 90% gesture recognition accuracy 95% for rotation/pan

Zoom in – 65%

Zoom out – 90%

Enable-disable – TBD

Dispatch accuracy TBD

Xuan’s Status Report for 4/29/2023

We started working on the final deadlines such as the poster. I also am in the middle of repairing and strengthening the glove since the wire of the middle finger’s flex sensor apparently broke off. I’m also assisting Gram and David in their testing and calibration of the glove so that it is as accurate as possible.

We should be on track as we’re continuing our testing phase.

This week, I hope to finish all the testing as well as the final deadlines

Xuan’s Status Report for 4/22/2023

I didn’t anticipate having to resolder most of the flex sensors because it was too short. I initially soldered so the sensors would fit exactly on each finger of the glove, but it turns out that extra room was needed. I also switched from using a hard wire to a more flexible one. These were setbacks that occurred but fortunately were resolved in time. I was supposed to work on the battery circuit this week but this took a large amount of time.

Progress is slightly behind schedule due to this setback, but we should be on track as we’re continuing our testing phase.

This week, I finish integrating the battery into the glove and also plan to continue integration and run the tests that require an assembled glove.

Team Status Report for 04/22/23

The biggest risk right now is the setup experience becoming more tedious than anticipated. We are currently exploring different ways to attach flex sensors to the glove that don’t affect the setup experience too significantly.

None since last week.

No changes.

Team work adjustments

David’s Status Report for 4/22/2023

I set up gravity subtraction on the glove module using a Madgwick filter and through various manipulations with quaternions. Now, the acceleration should be just from the movement and not from gravity. I was able to confirm that the acceleration at rest is 0 and that when the circuit is moved along a specific axis, only that axis experiences significant increases in acceleration.

I also worked on testing the battery life of the glove module. I did this by measuring the power consumption of the glove module.

We are slightly behind in testing since integration took longer than expected. We will be doing testing in the following week.

I plan to work on testing the system and collecting data to determine accuracy of the system.

Gram’s Status Report for 04/22/23

I configured the compute module to automatically start the system on startup, since a bug in the earlier configuration caused the program to keep crashing on startup.

I improved the gesture classification model to become more robust against random noise that was being collected by the sensors. I also addressed an edge case in the gesture classification model where pan/rotate gestures weren’t being detected if they rotated slightly while panning or panned slightly while rotating.

I also sewed 10 cloth straps onto the gloves to hold the flex sensors in place. However, after putting this together and trying it with the glove module, we discovered that it wasn’t providing enough tension for the flex sensors to pick up. I experimented with using rubber bands and tape as alternative attachment schemes and will likely stick with tape for now.

Progress is a bit behind since there were a lot of hiccups with integration, but since the integration is pretty much done, we can get started with testing this week after our presentation.

I plan to work on the demo presentation slides and finish testing our system.

David’s Status Report for 4/8/2023

I was able to get the output reports working on the HID controller. This means that we will be able to get the left and right handed mode working, as well as the calibration protocol. This was not working at first because I forgot to include the output declaration in the USB HID report descriptor. In addition, I realized that using output reports rather than feature reports were easier to implement since there are many examples of them online (e.g., keyboard HIDs).

Progress is on schedule.

This week, I plan to complete integration with left/right handed mode and calibration, as well as start some testing.

Now that you are entering into the verification and validation phase of your project, provide a comprehensive update on what tests you have you run or are planning to run. In particular, how will you analyze the anticipated measured results to verify your contribution to the project meets the engineering design requirements or the use case requirements?

I am planning to run tests on end to end latency as well as the usability and responsiveness of the HID commands to macro conversions on the host computer. I will analyze the responsiveness of the HID commands by running them end to end from the glove to the host computer. In addition, I will also test whether the largest possible magnitude of each command is a reasonable amount. These two will match directly to usability and latency requirements on the original report.

Gram’s Status Report for 04/08/23

I worked on integrating the binary packed input from the glove module with the MQTT receiver on the compute module. I also worked on integrating the compute module with the HID receiver on the computer. I also worked on refining the gesture classification model based on real values from the glove module.

Progress is a bit behind since we should be starting to test this week. I’ll ensure the end-to-end integration is completed by the start of next week so that we can spend most of next week working on testing and evaluation.

I plan to refine the gesture classification model more so that it can work seamlessly with the input from the glove and dispatch more seamlessly with the HID receiver. Afterwards, I plan to work on some benchmarking and evaluation.