Mayur’s Status Update for 2/15

My contributions this week can be summarized into two major sections.

1. Our whole group decided to gather data in order to determine the viability of using the phone and smartwatch built-in step counter functions. The three of us met up at the Tepper gym and measured the accuracy of two different Android phones and an Android watch. See the team update for more information. In this part, my contribution was in running on the treadmill as a second person so that we could have a second set of data. Based on the information we gathered, we have started to debate the necessity of pushing our application onto the watch. Its accuracy is lower than that of current design requirements,  so our only options are to acknowledge that we will not be hitting our requirements, or forcing a person to carry a phone with them. However, if we pick the latter option, then the watch is literally pointless.
    2.  As we outlined in our Proposal Presentation, I will be in charge of creating the UI and functionality of our smartphone application. For this week and up until Tuesday night, I am aiming to have created a very basic application that can run some python code. We need this written for two reasons. The first is to verify that our code base can be written in Python. Python has rich libraries for Audio and Signal processing, which we would like to utilize. However, as far as we are aware, most code-bases are built using only a single language. The second is that having a basic app will give us the chance to explore additional parts of our project in the next week, such as the most logical way to built out the UI, how music is imported, gather information on how long it takes to process music on the phone, and how to get step detector information from the Android API. So far, I have been looking over coding examples and following a basic tutorial to build my first app. Familiarizing myself with the host of different files and Android jargon has been the most challenging part of the week. The most exciting has been the fact that I figured out how to test the app directly on my phone. I would say that I am mostly on track to write the app by the end of next week. Aside from the app, I’m also hoping to begin work on the design presentation slides & writeup during next week.