Akash’s Status Update for 2/15

This week I worked on testing the step detection in possible devices that we are going to use for our app. We worked with two Android phones (Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S7). We also worked with a Samsung Galaxy Watch. Since I am injured, I had my other 2 partners run on the treadmill with the phones and watch in their hands and manually count the steps in addition. After each run, we would record all the data that the phones and watch detected as well as the manual count. We can in 30 sec, and 1 min intervals in a range of speeds from 5.5 mph to 10 mph as this is the range of typical runners.

We added a little bit of error in step counting to the numbers we had due to us taking extra steps while we had the phones resting on the arm bars, etc. We calculated the avg error per device and also calculated the pace in footsteps per minute so we can use that for finding the BPM of songs for warping them.

All the data and calculations can be found in this speadsheet here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1J2ysAOXA1FXJSTiTSfZmVzg7IQvT8NH68mO__dcMQ8I/edit?usp=sharing

As of right now, I feel like we are on track with our goals. Since we know the data we got from the step detection is pretty good, we can move forward with our selected devices.

In the next week, I look forward to figuring out how to get the footstep data off the phone to use for processing.