Mayur’s Status Update for 2/22

This week, I finished my exploration into using Python with Android Studio. I discovered several different methods. Each came with a host of problems that made them illogical to use.  Most of their problems were either that they didn’t have a way to access the Android Step Detector and Step Counter sensors, or that they didn’t provide ways to make callable functions in Python to interface with the app built in Java. We will be including a section in the design presentation and report with more details.

There was no specific reason we wanted to use Python other than for its familiarity, so we have decided to write the discrete wavelet transform with C/C++, which is natively supported by Android Studio. We also had the option of using Java, but feel that its efficiency for audio processing will not be as strong as C’s. I did a bit of searching for libraries that already implement the wavelet transform, and found a couple.

Finally, I worked on the design presentation slides to update them for our presentation next week. Specifically, the team discussed the data we had gathered to make conclusions on how we wanted to adjust our design goals and platform specifications.

I would say that the project is currently on track. We have taken the feedback from the proposal and used it to refine our project appropriately. Next week, the deliverables I want are the design doc (obviously) and having an app that uses a little C code as a proof-of-concept.