Melodee’s Status Update for 4/11/20

Melodee’s Status Update for 4/11/20

This week, I mostly worked with Eric to complete the C++ hardware interface. We ran into a few roadblocks while writing it, including limitations in the ATmega328p’s memory. However, as of today the interface is done and I can now move on to writing the firmware.

Since writing the hardware interface wasn’t as great of a bottleneck as we had anticipated, we decided that I no longer needed to write the tile simulation.

A significant contribution that I made to the hardware interface was benchmarking the minimum length that a pulse can be for a neighboring tile to detect it. It turned out that we actually won’t need to add any time delay between turning on and off the IR emitter; the latency of turning the emitter off after turning it on is enough time for a neighboring tile to detect the pulse. This lack of limitation eased our worries of fast pulses going undetected.

I have less time than I would like to write and debug the firmware. I discovered yesterday that we have less time than we thought until demo day, so I no longer have any slack time and need to work extra hard this week.

Goals for next week

• Complete C++ firmware
  • Complete tile enclosure construction