Eric Maynard’s Status Update for 3/21/2020

What did you personally accomplish this week on the project? Give files or photos
that demonstrate your progress. Prove to the reader that you put sufficient effort into
the project over the course of the week (12+ hours).
Including what we did over spring break:
  • received the components we wanted to use for our first iteration of the design
  • Attempted to solder a surface mount version of the microcontroller to an adapter.  This took a long time and as a result, I think I overheated the $1.50 microcontroller.  I was unable to program it after finishing.
  • Attempted to solder leads to a really tiny surface mount transistor we purchased to test that it’s characteristics would be sufficient for our design.  The tiny leads broke off while soldering and the device was never tested.  We purchased two of them, but the second one fell on my lap and it was so tiny I never was able to find it.
  • Tested the IR transmitters, IR receivers, and reflective sensors to figure out which resistors worked best with them.
  • Changed the design to use a voltage regulator to power the reflective sensors so to keep the measurements more consistent across different battery levels.  This voltage regulator is only powered when the reflective sensor values are being read.
  • Sent the finished PCB design to PCBWay.  It is done being manufactured and is on its way here.  Arriving Tuesday.
  • Sent out an order for the parts needed to build 5 tiles.
Is your progress on schedule or behind? If you are behind, what actions will be
taken to catch up to the project schedule?
We adjusted our schedule to reflect consequences of the virus and with the new schedule, I feel like I’m good on time with my part.
I am currently waiting for the parts to arrive.  There are things I could do in the meantime, but I would like to focus on other classes until the parts get here.  When everything does arrive, I hope to solder together a tile and be testing it within a day of getting it.