Chakara’s Status Update for 03/28/2020

This week, I spent more time understanding different algorithms in our software pipeline. I mostly work on triangulation, converting point clouds to triangular meshes. The actual implementation of triangulation is very complicated, especially for 3D objects. Thus, I decided to search for different libraries and modules that would fit our project scope best (which is also according to our design). I decided to use pyvista because it is a well-supported library and can provide VTK which helps with the project.

Below are examples of my work converting generated sample point clouds to triangular meshes.

For the plane object, we can see that there are 2 meshes, one is completely inaccurate while the other is a bit more accurate. This depends on different parameters I have to adjust: distance value to control the output of this filter, tolerance to control discarding of closely spaced points, and multiplier to control the size of the initial, bounding Delaunay triangulation.

This would most likely be the main risk and complicated part of this algorithm, figuring global parameters that would work well for all objects to meet our requirements.

I’m currently on schedule.

Next week, I hope to fine-tune this algorithm more to work with multiple objects. I also hope to integrate my part with Alex’s to test if the algorithm works on our objects. I also hope to start working on the test benchmarks and prepare for the demo.