Karen’s Status Report for 10/01

After talking with Arden, we came up with a plan to have nodes operate on a schedule where they are ‘awake’ for a certain period, then ‘sleeping’ for a certain period. While it is awake, it is listening for a child node to transmit data. Once that happens, it takes a sensor reading and adds it to the received data. If it doesn’t receive anything by the end of its awake period, it will take a sensor reading. It will then send that data to the parent node. After the awake period, it will enter a sleep period where it is put in standby or shutdown mode. We can set a periodic wakeup using the RTC to wake up the node after a certain period of time. I have been busier than expected with classwork so I haven’t had time to look into the synchronization algorithm Arden researched. I will need to catch up this week by looking into how the algorithm calculates the clock offset, and if it’s possible to make sure all the nodes are on at the same time to synchronize the clocks. Once we get the STM32s we ordered I will try putting one into different low power modes and waking it up using the RTC.