Lahari’s Status Report for 11/20/21

This week in class we tweaked the computer vision and worked through our propulsion issues. The later part of the week we finalized the design for the robot and did some fabrication. On Monday, we went out to test the propulsion with the fully charged battery added thrust. These changes seemed to make all the difference and our device was able to move a sizeable distance based on the photos attached. There was a some mid-air rotation so this will be the focus going into next week.

We also did a test to compare the Raspberry Pi (fisheye) camera and the Logitech webcam to see which was better for detection at different lateral distances. With the large circle (2-meter diameter) I printed this week, there was 0% detection with the Pi camera and about 60% detection on the Webcam on average. We will be moving forward with the webcam. We also tested detection rates and frame rate against resolution and found 480p to be optimal.

From Thursday onwards we made CAD models and fabricated the final design in TechSpark. Vikram made the designs for the walls and base of the device, while I designed the lid and added some hardware cutouts using SolidWorks. We decided to use Acrylic, which I laser cut on Saturday.