Darwin Torres’ Status Report for 4/30

This week, I worked on making our taps and drags more responsive. Before working on double taps, we felt it was best that the we improved the performance of our single-tap interactions. Overall, things were fine for our MVP, however there were a few hiccups, mainly with taps sometimes being registered as small drags and drags not appearing very smooth. Matt K and I came up with a solution where we would ignore additional position updates that occur within a small radius around an initial touch. This makes it less likely that we detect a small drag when the user is really trying to tap. We found that this solution was able to fix our first problem. To make drags smoother, we averaged every couple of position updates before sending a request to the OS. This meant a slower refresh rate, but smoother interpolation of coordinates along a drag. We tinkered around with how many position updates should be averaged, and we found 5-7 gave the best results. Overall, I feel I am on schedule, especially since the tasks that we have remaining are in addition to our MVP. Although I wanted to have a simple double tap test done this week, I felt the changes we made this week were more important to the user experience. Next week, I will work on implementing double taps so that we can hopefully be able to showcase it during our poster session.

Matthew Shen’s Status Report for 4/30

This week, we worked mainly on optimizing the software. I mainly worked on trying to better align the LEDs on the hardware side as there were some instances of misalignment randomly appearing. Next week, I plan to take an oscilloscope to each LED to ensure they each exceed the VIL of the muxes. I will also be working to finish our poster and demo video this week.

We are on schedule as we have completed MVP and are working towards our reach goals now.

Team Status Report for 4/30

This week, we spent most of our time working on obtaining testing values for our presentation. We felt that this went successfully since all of our tests passed. Since we have achieved our MVP, we are not too concerned about obstacles that we may face. Our focus is now to get multi-finger functionality working, which will begin with two finger zoom. Additionally, we may try to make a frame to improve the appearance of our project. All updates to our schedule were shown during the presentation.

Matthew Kuczynski’s Status Report 4/30

Since our MVP was achieved last week, I spent the beginning of the week testing our use case requirements and preparing for the final presentation where I was the speaker. Later in the week, I worked with Darwin on creating a threshold for distance for drags and averaging the position for consecutive data collections where the finger is down so that less update commands are sent and actions like drawing are smoother. Overall, I feel that I am on schedule since our MVP is working and we have completed testing. Next week, I plan to work on the algorithms for two finger gestures such as zoom.

Darwin Torres’ Status Report for 4/23

This week, I helped the team in performing the initial tests of completed integration of all subsystems. Initially, there wasn’t much I could do related to my subsystem as I had to wait the frame to be completed and tested. In the meantime, I worked on the final presentation and report. Once the frame was completed and Matt S and Matt K were able to confirm successful integration of their subsystems, I jumped in to test the integration of my subsystem. As always, a few bugs got in the way, but with the help of Matt K, we were able to get them out of the way. Eventually, we were able confirm the successful integration of all of our subsystems, allowing us to finally use Matt S’ laptop as if it were a touch screen device. However, for the time being, we are limited to single touch commands. The entire team got a good amount of progress done, and I would consider myself on schedule with my tasks. Next week, I will work on adding support for double taps.