Alana’s Status Report for 4/6/24

Personal Accomplishments:

As mentioned last week, I managed to get django to establish the connection between the lidar, rasberri pi,  model generator and web application. We can now press a button in the web app and scan the room, then once that is done, enter the 3D environment to play around with the models. While the speed of the room scan relies on the speed of the physical scanner components, the ability for the web app to load the model in is less than a few seconds.

I’ve been working on getting the web app to load in room and furniture models from a models folder. I’ve been looking into JavaScript file management functions for that. Though an issue with that ties into an issue the group has a whole. Trying to figure out how to separate the furniture models from the room model. Due to our lidar’s lack of depth perception, the furniture models are baked into the wall data as large blobs that go all the way back to the wall. This makes the wall and furniture as one model instead of separate ones. For this I’ve also spent time researching ways around this. It’s difficult for me to work on the problem directly as there have been errors with installing the Open3D packages needed to make the program run on my computer. Thankfully it works on the others computers but it leaves me in a position of being unable to test anything myself. I’ve looked for a work around but none have revealed themselves to me yet.

I have also made tweaks to the code base. Fleshing out little quality of life changes like easier times moving objects around, highlights appearing around the object when you select it, labels appearing on selected objects, tweaks to the code for easier re-use, etc.

Progress:

Establishing the connection between the web app and the other systems of the project was probably the most important task for me throughout this whole thing. With my issues in getting Open3D to work on my computer, any progress I make with the furniture data issue can only be research assistance. Aside from that though, I think getting django to work has kept me on track progress -wise.

Schedule Status: On time.

Verification:

For my verification methods, I plan to clock the time it takes to for the web pages to update, the time it takes for the web app to get the room data and how long it takes for the model to appear in the 3D model viewer. I can pretty easily do this by using the web browser console and making console comments about the current time. I can just keep track of the time difference between the when I initiate the above tasks and when they are completed.

Next Week’s Deliverables:

I hope to help others find a way around the furniture problem. In the meantime, I’ll be working on getting dummy furniture files to populate the room with the room model has loaded in.