Michael’s Status Report for 2/17

What did you personally accomplish this week on the project?

For this week I got the Espressif IDF for ESP32 setup on my laptop. The IDF is needed for us to compile and flash code to the ESP32 once we have the hardware in hand. The order for ESP32 was also put in on Monday along with the camera module. I hope to get that in hand soon so I can test out the toolchain that I have installed and debug any issues that may arise.
I also started writing the JPEG encoder code while I am waiting for the ESP32 to come in. My hope is that once the ESP32 comes in, I can immediately port the code over to the ESP32, saving us some time later on. Coding it up on my laptop also serves as a proof of concept on our modified JPEG algorithm and allows us to begin to make optimizations so that it can better run a low power ESP32. So far, I have the RGB to YCrCb color space conversion code done and verified along with an unoptimized version of the discrete fourier transform algorithm. For each one of the encoder components, I also have to write a decoder for it as well to verify functionality

Is your progress on schedule or behind? If you are behind, what actions will be
taken to catch up to the project schedule?

Currently slightly ahead of schedule but it is possible that unforeseen bugs on the compression pipeline can result in it taking longer than initially expected

What deliverables do you hope to complete in the next week?

For next week, I hope to verify my toolchain installation on an actual ESP32 when it arrives. On the compression front, I hope to have a fully working version of the code so that our initial assumptions can be verified.