Katherine’s Status Report for March 11

What did you personally accomplish this week on the project?

Besides working on the Design Document, I worked on the Generative mode for the project. For this mode, there is a 5×5 grid (as shown in a previous post). The goal is to have the user be able to make certain gestures by passing through boxes in a pattern and having this generate a more abstract pattern of notes by matching to a pattern we have already determined. I implemented some sample patterns and worked on detecting where red was in the grids. Next, I have a position array that updates when the user’s hand (or wherever they have designated the color) has spent a certain amount of time in a grid box. This position array is compared to the patterns and is also shortened to keep it efficient. This shows it working in the terminal:

Is your progress on schedule or behind? If you are behind, what actions will beĀ taken to catch up to the project schedule?

I am currently on schedule.

Next week, I plan to complete the generative mode note generation — I am going to add more patterns of varying length and start testing it by assigning the patterns to notes I can play using the musicalbeeps python library. I am also going to implement the user-controlled switch from normal note generation to the generative mode screen.