Karen’s Status Report for April 8

• What did you personally accomplish this week on the project? Give files or
    photos that demonstrate your progress.

This week I worked on switching from a hand tracking model (tracking using mediapipe) to a color tracking model because mediapipe is relatively slow since it needs to keep track of many points on the hand, while we only need to know where the hand is. Instead, we used colorful tapes and finger cots to keep track of the user’s middle finger position and identify where it is. I worked mainly on adjusting the RGB value identified for each color (so far the system should support Red, green, yellow, blue, and purple). In the end, we probably won’t need that many colors, but this is just for testing purposes (and in the extended case where the user has specific colored clothes that will require a different color finger to be tracked)

• Is your progress on schedule or behind? If you are behind, what actions will be
    taken to catch up to the project schedule?

I think my progress is still a little behind because changing from hand tracking to color tracking is not part of our intended schedule. However this does kind of solve the problem of time delay, so it is sort of progress speed up in a different place. Next week because of carnival there will  be fewer classes so more time for work

• What deliverables do you hope to complete in the next week?

Next week I will try to get the color recording fully integrated with the synthesizer (with note area classification) and continue to work on the gesture recognition section

• Now that you are entering into the verification and validation phase of your project, provide a comprehensive update on what tests you have you run or are planning to run. In particular, how will you analyze the anticipated measured results to verify your contribution to the project meets the engineering design requirements or the use case requirements?

Currently tests that I am currently running/have finished include color detection accuracy(using different color objects under different lighting settings to see if the system can still find the assigned color), color detection speed (time elapse between color input (middle finger locating) and sound output based on quadrant. Tests will be conducted in the following week include battery testing and gesture recognition accuracy, which are based on unfinished components.