Oscar’s Status Report for Feb 25

• What did you personally accomplish this week on the project? Give files or
    photos that demonstrate your progress.

This week I continued to improve on the oscillator program I wrote last week to support pitch and volume control and timbre selection. By moving the mouse left and right, the program plays one of the eight notes between C4 and C5. The volume is controlled by the vertical position of the mouse. Also, the program will produce a different sound when the oscillator is initialized with different functions. Here is a demo video of the functionalities above.

I also spent quite a lot of time making my system both Windows and macOS compatible. Since I do not own a MacBook, Karen helped me make sure that my program is indeed macOS compatible. Previously I had some issues with using the simpleaudio library on Windows. This was resolved by using the pyaudio library instead. However, switching libraries means I have to rewrite the core part of my synthesizer from scratch.

• Is your progress on schedule or behind? If you are behind, what actions will be
    taken to catch up with the project schedule.

I think my progress is on schedule. However, using an existing synthesizer software is always a backup plan. I have researched a little bit into open-sourced synthesizers this week and decided that Surge is currently the best available option.

• What deliverables do you hope to complete in the next week?

I plan to continue upgrade the linear volume control into a vibrato. Also, I will try to add a gliding mechanism to my synthesizer so that it smooths out the not transition.