Oscar’s Status Report for Feb 11

Besides preparing for the presentation on Wednesday, I was researching potential software/code for our synthesizer. Specifically, I was looking for the following functionalities:

• Supports playing sounds of different frequencies and volumes.
  • Can apply at least one adjustable musical effect.
  • Supports at least two different tone colors/instrument sounds.

I have tried building a DIY synthesizer using Python libraries like pyo, synthesizer, and C++ libraries like STK. After wrestling with import errors and dependency issues, I decided to build a synthesizer based on this post. It has a step-by-step tutorial that teaches you how to build an oscillator, a modulator, and a controller in Python. I modified the code provided in the post and wrote a simple Python program that can generate numpy arrays representing arbitrary frequencies sounds. Currently, the program plays a “C4-E4-G4” sequence on repeat.

My progress is on schedule, and I am planning to upgrade the synthesizer program so that it responds to real-time inputs (for example, mouse movement). Also, I need to fix the audio “snaps” problem. When looping a frequency array, the difference between the first and last element will cause the synthesizer to play a snap sound. I need to find a way to smooth out the snaps and make looping unnoticeable.