Nish’s Status Report 3/18

What did you personally accomplish this week on the project? Give files orphotos that demonstrate your progress. Prove to the reader that you put sufficient effort into the project over the course of the week (12+ hours).

This week, I evaluated the ethics of our project in the Ethics assignment. We feel that overall, our project does not have negative ethical dilemmas. However, it solidified our ideas that we only want to target experienced piano players (to some degree), as we don’t want to cause bad hand posture and bad technique in younger/beginner users, if they attempt to play the piano on a flat surface for a long time.

I also worked for a bit in trying to get our oscillators and synth sounds. However, this work is now obsolete given that we will just use an existing package. I’ve been looking through and testing different audio packages and MIDI packages available in Python. pypiano and fluidsynth are the ones we are now considered, and will narrow down when we work on audio processing again later in our timeline.

I also spent a large amount of time learning how MIDI protocol works, and working through tutorials to practice sending and receiving MIDI messages and writing them to a file. I used a bit of an arrangement of Dandelions that I had been working on and wrote out MIDI messages and tried to play them back in a .mid file, using a few resources such as this that uses MATLAB to actually write the messages to the file:

https://www.mathworks.com/help/audio/ug/convert-midi-files-into-midi-messages.html

Is your progress on schedule or behind? If you are behind, what actions will be taken to catch up to the project schedule?

After evaluating our risks (as seen in the group report), we feel a little behind as a lot of the work that I was trying to do this week is kind of obsolete now. To get back on schedule, we are focusing on having something working for our interim demo. That will require our interface to be up and running, so both Caroline and I will be working together next week to build up the structure of the app in Kivy, and hopefully be able to launch it through Xcode as well.

What deliverables do you hope to complete in the next week

Next week, I hope to have been able to launch our app from our iPhone, such that it shows a calibration page and accesses the camera.