Goran’s Status Report – 02/12/22

For this week our groups focus was mostly on researching different types of algorithms/papers that we thought would be helpful to the implementation of our Smart Traffic Light. My focus for this week was researching dynamic traffic rerouting algorithms. The idea behind this was in the case of some sort of accident result in lane closures or congestion, we would be able to control traffic lights at nearby intersections in order to ease traffic slowdown. From these papers I believe I have gained a reasonable grasp on the next steps I would like to take for the following few weeks. I will take several different example road maps (different configurations of connected intersections), and convert these into graphs with nodes and edges where the edges represent the roads and the nodes represent the various road intersections. The roads are given various weights depending on their distance and traffic density, and the time a motorist would take to move from one point to another is estimated. These weights would also be heavily dependent on data coming from the crash detection algorithm, allowing us to factor the effect of crashes on our traffic simulation. I will then add in a suitable routing algorithm (most likely just Dijkstra’s) and apply that to the weighted graph. In the future I plan to get this rerouting set up to simulate on a series of breadboards with leds.

Right now I feel as if I am on schedule, the amount of research I have conducted this week feels like enough to begin the implementation section of our schedule. Hopefully the entire rerouting algorithm can be completed at/before the three week deadline as seen on the schedule.

By next week I hope to be able to show reasonable progress on the rerouting algorithm, and at least have it working on a preset input of weights on one road map configuration.

One Reply to “Goran’s Status Report – 02/12/22”