Kanon’s Status Report for 2/27

This week, I mainly focused on the basic design of our web application. Currently, I’m thinking of having a single page layout of the website as it would be easier for the user to navigate through. Moreover, because the users will be using this web application on their phone, this single page layout will look like a normal iPhone/Android App. Therefore, there is no need to develop an actual smartphone application.

I heard that implementing Google OAuth with Django is a bit of hassle, so I also decided to implement Google OAuth login this week. It did turn out to be much harder than I expected it to be. There are many ways to implement Google OAuth but some information was outdated, so I had to go through all of them and gather knowledge to come up with the most optimal way to implement this API. Eventually I was able to make it work, but I did not have enough time to look into how to register with Google OAuth.

Lastly, I have set up AWS related accounts and got credits from Tamal. I have read through the basic documentation of DynamoDB and figured out it will cost every time when we try to write/read data to it. The rough calculation gave me $1 per month, which definitely is feasible under our budget. However, I will need to look into EC2 costing so that the total operation cost on AWS will be under $50.

Next week, I will start implementing CSS designs and refurbish registration +  login/logout functionality as it currently only supports Google OAuth login. The users should be able to register with email while also  being able to register with a Google account. I will further need to look into how the Django database is storing Google emails because we might use this information to send notifications/alerts to users.