Ryan’s Status Report 5/8/21

This week I changed the structure of our analysis functions. A few weeks ago I started using threading for each of our analysis functions along with the data collection function. This week I changed our program to only use two threads – one for the data collection, the other for data analysis. I realized that while having a thread for each individual analysis function is means they can all work independently, it also means that they have to send their results to the website separately. This trade-off is not worth it because the API calls take a long time relative to the analysis we do on the car data, so by making all the analysis functions sequential, we only have to make one API call to the website, which saves us time. We still use separate threads for the data collection and data analysis. We also did driving tests to work out any remaining bugs in our pipeline – making sure the raw data and infraction data were being collected and sent to the website properly. I also worked on our final presentation slides for class this past Wednesday and practiced presenting them many times.