Claire’s Status Update for 04/05

Claire’s Status Update for 04/05

Schedule

This week’s task was to work on the Z linear motion, and along with Maxine, finish the gripper.

Progress This Week

This week, Maxine and I made a couple adjustments to the schedule. Since the gantry turned out to be a lot more components than we expected, I’m now responsible also for the gripper. I was able to finish the Z linear motion. First, I made a rack and pinion structure. And since I found it likely to be too flimsy, I added another gear and rack such that the weight and structure would be more balanced. With this, the structure feels more equipped to deal with the additional weight on the bottom.

For the gripper, I wasn’t able to get much done. But I began working on the gripper arms. I wanted to make sure that we made the
arms modular enough such that I could switch them out for different options if we needed to model different shapes or materials. Hopefully, the rest of the weekend will give me some more time, so I have more to demo for class on Monday!

Next Week’s To-do

Next week, I will be focusing on finishing up the gripper and getting the rotation for the gripper. Maxine and I wanted to start looking into integration. Especially since this is done remotely and we have no prior experience, we wanted to get a jumpstart on that.