Melodee’s Status Update for 4/4/20

Melodee’s Status Update for 4/4/20

I wrapped up my work with the Python version of the firmware in the beginning of the week. It can be found in the python_firmware directory of our repository. Eric and I then moved on to working in the C++ Arduino environment. We spent a day learning C++ (since we need to do more advanced things with it than what we’re used to). Then we began working on writing a C++ interface to the hardware to decouple the firmware with the circuit/atmega functionalities such as sensor i/o and sleep mode. Next week, we plan to start writing the C++ tile simulator in conjunction to the hardware interface, in case the hardware interface takes a longer time to write than anticipated. The tile simulator will allow me to start porting my Python firmware to C++ earlier because it will allow me to debug the firmware without having to actually connect to any hardware.

Eric and I also began prototyping tile enclosures. The initial cutting process took longer than expected because the wood we used at first was too splintery and fragile (see below).

We switched to particleboard, which was a lot better quality wood. We cut enough wood for 5 tiles, and then used a router table to cut puzzle piece-like holes to the sides of the pieces so that we could fit them together (see below).

We have yet to drill the side holes for the IR communication or the top holes for the reflective sensors, so we will work on this next week to get our first tile prototypes done.

Right now, I have about two weeks to finish the C++ firmware before I start porting it to the microcontrollers. It’s a little tight, so I will have to spend a lot of time this week to hopefully have it code complete so that I can give myself a week to debug.

The tile construction is on schedule. Once we make the 5 working tile enclosures, the rest should be really quick to make.

Goals for next week

• Write C++ tile simulator
  • Port Python firmware to C++ so that it is code complete
  • Begin debugging C++ firmware, time permitting
  • Complete tile enclosures