Jeremy’s Status Update for 03/21/2020

As mentioned in the team status update, we are switching our project to simulate or generate images that we would normally get from the camera and laser setup instead of building a physical piece of hardware. I started to explore options to do this, and I will be using Blender modeling software to generate these images. In these few days, I successfully projected a laser stripe onto the default Blender object Susanne the monkey. 

This is a sample of the laser stripe projected onto the object. I will add a cylindrical platform with a wood texture and tune the background to be dark grey or something so we can see the laser better. 

This is the shading setup I used for the laser projection. I used an image with a white line of a few pixels wide down the middle and actually projected the image shaded with a red tint to resemble a laser stripe. I can tune how white or red the laser stripe is with the power parameter in Blender (set to 70,000W in the render above). I can also control how much red diffuses from the laser by tuning how many light bounces there will be in the render. 

Moving forward, I will be using keyframe animations to rotate an object around the z-axis and generate images resembling what we would get in our physical setup. I will need to first acquire our old materials from Quinn so I can assemble a basic non-moving version of our previous design to check how well my simulated images resemble it, and also get the camera parameters of our USB camera to calibrate those in Blender.