Joy’s Status Update for 2020-03-21

I have spent this week rescoping our project with my teammates. Due to lack of access of TechSpark, the hinge joint and the turntable portions of the mount will need to be somewhat modified to rely less on fabricated gears and instead on parts from McMaster-Carr. This will require some redesigning. For the object-tracking software, it seems that the bottleneck will most likely be the latency of image transfer, but the object tracking may also decrease the possible framerate. I need to start working on porting the software to the Pi, either by working in a VM or by ordering a Pi and running the software on the Pi directly. I will need to start working with libgphoto2 and attempting to feed images into the object-tracking software from a camera (e.g., a smartphone) connected via libgphoto2. It’s also important that I figure out how the mount and the motors will interface with the Pi, which GPIO pins to use, etc. As for verification of the object-tracking software, I will need to experiment with generation of mock inputs for the Pi. I am behind on this. I will also need to work out how to coordinate testing of the interface between the Pi and the motor controller board given that I will not have access to both.