Ryan Lee – Week 10 Status Report

Since last week, we have all been working on integrating the ML portion with the Rasberry Pi. Although the code ran well on Ari’s local computer, there were a lot of importing module issues on the Pi. Therefore, this week I had to work on fixing the ALSA audio issues on the Pi to successfully record directly from the stethoscope.

Aside from fixing the import issues on the Pi, I also worked on checking the sensitivity vs specificity on the ML testing algorithm by using a Confusion Matrix. Eri and I initially found that only 65% of our abnormal test sounds were being classified as abnormal, so we decided to use more abnormal heart sounds in the training algorithm because there was previously a lot more normal heart sounds than abnormal in the dataset. After we fixed this, we saw that we were now getting around a 85% true positive rate and 85% true negative rate, which is what our specifications originally aimed for. The overall validation accuracy was also 89%.

For next week, we as a team have to finish the integration portion as well as ensuring that it also works with the speaker using a double-blind experiment.