Ben’s Weekly Update, Feb 17-23

Tuesday night: Worked on testing the HC-SR04 ultrasound sensors and trying to see if a frontal collision pattern could be detected using the various algorithms I proposed. It worked very well sometimes and was rather noisy other times. I tried several different methods of filtering out the noise, mostly using low-pass filters, but they worked about as well as before. Nonetheless, it was a good test of the RPi-Arduino architecture on the bike, since I was using the Uno to control the ultrasound sensor and report distance values back to the Pi3, which ran the warning decision algorithm. The actual algorithm will be running with the LIDAR, not the HC-SR04, so noise will likely be less of a problem.

Wednesday morning: Helped out to figure out the Maps API problem.

Thursday afternoon: The LIDAR arrived!

Friday night: Worked on the rangefinder, speedometer and some of the Pi section in the design report. Figured out how many HC-SR04 sensors we need to use. Figured out that the Pi could actually handle the HC-SR04s, since the Arduino might have trouble with timing a lot of things at the same time. But it means we need to write an LKM.

Saturday: Tried to configure the LIDAR. Obtained a real bicycle speedometer and a reed switch. Will just use the reed switch instead of the Hall effect sensor for the speedometer. Made the circuit.

Schedule:

Caught up a little, still slightly behind because had to write up a lot in the report. However, design is a lot clearer now. Will work more this coming week.

Targets:

Make a working rangefinder frontal collision demo for Monday. Decide if we should order the rest of the rangefinders by Wednesday. Test and see if the rangefinder works well on glossy vehicles. Figure out the physical layout and position of the sensors on an actual bicycle, using my bicycle.