Michael’s Weekly Update, Feb 17-23

Accomplishments:

• Worked on Bluetooth module communication with mobile device
  • Worked on Maps intersection detection API
  • Wrote Arduino code for all peripherals
    • Piezo Buzzer, controlled sound and created notification sounds
    • Cell phone vibration motors
    • LED Matrix data
    • Bluetooth module
  • Worked on design documents
    • Created LaTeX template for the report
    • Created specifications for power and refresh rate needed for peripherals

Future work needed on making a more solidified Bluetooth communication scheme, since right now it is very impromptu on how devices are triggered.

Also, I need to minimize the latency of how all the devices respond, while making communication still as readily available as possible.

Upcoming Work:

Some of the improvements I mentioned above I’d like to work more on. In addition, the major next step is to actually install the devices on a jacket. This will bring challenges for how to make the devices fit well while also working properly.

Some risks I foresee are that the devices will be very hard to power on low power. Fortunately, we should be using the bike for power for now, so power is not too much of an issue. Also, I am a bit worried about how comfortable devices will be on a wearable, and whether they will work well once they have to move around a lot with the wearer of the jacket.

Schedule:

On schedule, except for the LED strips which didn’t arrive. Since I already have a prototype with code, they should be very easy to set up once they arrive.