Alan’s Status Report for 11/13

This week, most of my work was done in preparation for the Interim Demo. We managed to successfully demonstrate the mouse movement as we planned but we even made progress with integrating the gesture recognition model to allow for left mouse clicking and dragging. While Brian continues to refine the model, I will work on implementing the other mouse operations such as right clicking and scrolling. Right now I am working on making quality of life changes to the mouse functions. One example of this has to do with clicking vs dragging using the mouse. Due to the nature of the mouse module functions, if the gesture for holding the mouse is continuously input, it makes it somewhat difficult to differentiate a user who wants to drag something around for a short while, or a user who wants to click. I am working on implementing code that differentiates between these by sampling gesture inputs over a short period of time. This will be implemented along with a sort of “cooldown timer” on mouse clicking. This will prevent the module from accidentally sending spam click calls to the mouse cursor as it continually detects the gesture for clicking, and instead allows for a user to click once every half a second or so. These changes are being made to ensure a smoother user experience. Currently I am on track with the schedule.