10/12/19 Team Update

Enes Palaz Status Update

• What did you personally accomplish this week on the project?
    • Finished designing the interface for DAC module
    • Took a slack period for a midterm and homework for most of the work.
  •  Is your progress on schedule or behind? If you are behind, what actions will be taken to catch up to the project schedule?
    • I am on track with my gantt chart expectations
  • What deliverables do you hope to complete in the next week?
    • Finishing the code for controlling DACs
    • Testing DAC code with the galvanometers

Jake Zimmer Status Update

• Designed the safety subsystem and implemented it in the schematic and PCB.
    • Redesigned the PCB to be a Raspberry Pi Hat.
    • Implemented changes to the DAC circuitry based on experimentation.
    • I am on track although I expect that actually programming the safety subsystem will take longer than I allocated due to getting set up with a new toolchain.
    • I will have a formal design review with Eliana Cohen.
    • We will order PCBs and parts.

Eliana Cohen Status Update

• Finished implementing the C++ implementation of the frame to ILDA converter, and benchmarked performance. Time to convert an image is now in the range of .1s – .08s, which is within specs for our conversion time. It might be nicer to get an extra factor of safety in regards to computation time.
    • Researched other improvements to make with the C++ implementation, and found further speedup could be accomplished via preallocating arrays rather than using vectors. 
    • Applied some minor code fixes to the C ILDA double buffer code.
    • Set up makefiles for compiling whole project and integrating the C++ and C buffer code together
    • Tried setting up the project on the raspberry pi hardware, but encountered some problems with configuring opencv. Currently investigating why certain environmental variables are having difficulty finding the built opencv libraries, but wasn’t able to figure this out by the end of the week.

On track, though the problems I encountered with getting the OpenCV files to work on the raspberry Pi were unexpected. These aren’t really problems with the code, so I was still able to accomplish my deliverables for finishing up the libraries, and Enes was willing to give me some extra help fixing the environmental variables as I’ve been stuck on this for a couple days. It should be a simple fix, so it shouldn’t impair the schedule by too much.

By next week, I should have completed:

1. Review the Safety Subsystem Hardware with Jake
  2. Start working on and researching safety subsystem implementations. As I have exams next week, I’ll mainly focus on initial research and high-level design.

Team Status Update

• What are the most significant risks that could jeopardize the success of the project? How are these risks being managed? What contingency plans are ready? 

No new risks.

• Were any changes made to the existing design of the system (requirements, block diagram, system spec, etc)? Why was this change necessary, what costs does the change incur, and how will these costs be mitigated going forward? 

The Frame to ILDA library was converted to C++ instead of Python, as discussed in the previous status update.

• Provide an updated schedule if changes have occurred. 

None