Weekly Status Report #4: 10/6– 10/13

Celine:

The beginning of this week I mostly worked on the design presentation slides with Effie and Indu. For the computer vision work, I made progress getting Tesseract installed and getting it to work on some unprocessed images I just got off of the internet. My teammates and I have been working on the design paper too, which we will finish tomorrow.

Next week I plan to get into being able to segment a page/set of pages from the background and look into ways to improve Tesseract’s accuracy.

Effie:

This week I worked on my slides of the in-class presentation and several parts of the design paper. I met with a friend who had done a similar page turning project to get advice on how to build a page lifting mechanism with a servo arm and motor wheel which was very helpful.

This coming week we plan to finish the design paper, and hopefully the pi will come in soon so I can get going setting it up and connecting devices.

Indu:

This week I worked on the Design Presentation with Celine and Effie. It involved me thinking more along the lines of what our final device should look like. I also spent a significant amount of time working on a drawing of what the whole device should look like. As we only have one of our conveyor chain gears, I spoke with a Mechanical Engineering friend and we may laser cut another gear this weekend. I also worked significantly on our Design Report and helped Celine further flush out the block diagram so that more of the technical specifications are included.